After 19 years of continual improvement and diligent stewardship at the AMA Museum, we are facing the year 2020 with much enthusiasm!
And, we come to you – again – to ask for your contribution to help us take the next step.
With this mailing, we are launching The Next Step Campaign. This will be a year-long comprehensive program to make improvements in every area of our operation.
For all of us here at AMA, 2020 will be a year of enhancing our strengths and addressing our weaknesses. It is our hope that you – the alumni – will support us in our work, our progress, and our desire to push AMA ever closer to meeting the professional standards of a small museum and a small non-profit organization.
Please read below as we outline our goals for the coming year!
The Next Step in Collections:
- Expanded public access to the museum collection: The creation of an online catalog of our collection enables us to move past the limits of our exhibit space and surpass the number of museum visitors that we welcome on-site.
- Scrapbook project: Currently, we are seeking a grant to fund the digitization all the items contained in each of the 48 cadet scrapbooks in our collection.
- Preservation work: Several items in the collection, including those on long-term display and those that were donated in an imperfect condition, require routine cleaning and preservation.
- Off-site storage for Cadet Archives: An off-site storage location is an ideal solution for proper storage and conservation of the vast Cadet Archives.
The Next Step in Museum Management:
- Exhibit lighting upgrade: Currently, we are seeking a grant to enable the replacement and upgrade of the original track lighting system in the all the exhibit rooms.
- Group tours: A priority for 2020 will be to move more group tours through the museum.
- Policy: We plan to draft a Strategic Institutional Plan and a Disaster Preparedness/Emergency Response Plan and enroll in the American Alliance of Museums’ Core Documents Review program.
The Next Step in Non-Profit Management:
- Recruit new volunteers for all the functions of the Foundation including the Board of Trustees and respective committees and docent duty at the museum.
The Next Step in Fund-Raising and Finances:
- Secure proper operations funding: No matter how lofty or simple our goals are, we cannot focus on strengthening our organization, mission and cause if the funds are not available to support the work.
- Add to our investments: The investment account stands as our reserve to fund daily operations in the down years and as our security blanket for years to come.
In our zeal to move forward on forecasted projects for 2020, let us not forget to THANK each and every one of you that have already donated in 2019 and to those have been supporting the museum and every facet of the Foundation for many, many years. Without you, our successful, small museum would not have achieved this much for this long!
Please look at the Annual Fund brochure and consider the ways you can support our operation. Also, do take note of our new levels-of-giving, the “To The Stars” Program. This is a new, tiered program for donors who give throughout the years. Each tier is named after a prominent figure in AMA’s history as a salute to the contribution they have made to the AMA Legacy.
While considering your donation, let us remind you that good old AMA is leading the field in preserving and educating the public about military schools and their history. We are the only school operating a full-time museum with a paid professional staff. And it is our desire to continue as the leader in this field for some time!
Doug Pennock, ’72
P.S. If you would like to make a convenient online payment now, or in the future, simply click this button and you will be taken to PayPal where you can pay with a credit or debit card, safely and securely.