The History of Augusta Military Academy
AMA has a long and storied history. It’s roots begin during the War Between The States, and continues through today. While the school closed in 1984, a very active alumni association continues to impact young people today through scholarships given to descendants of AMA Alumni.
This photo is of Augusta Male Academy Corps of Cadets in 1880. In the background are the school's buildings. The larger building in the center was the home of the school's founder, Charles Summerville Roller. Today, it has been renovated and houses the AMA Museum.
The figure at the far right is believed to be Professor Roller. The handwriting is that of General Charles S. Roller, Jr., who identified his 2 older brothers in the foreground.
Bob Bradford, ’50, compiled an extensively researched history of the school titled “The Roller School. A loving history of Augusta Military Academy.”
No history of AMA would be complete without an exhaustive look at the life of AMA’s founder Charles Summerville Roller. Duke Fancher, ’58, researched and wrote “In the Beginning”.